During the holiday season especially, but all year round helping others is in vogue, so we would like to take this opportunity to share ideas of how you can help others either with your cash donations or your personal efforts. Below we have listed some of our favorite charities where you have several options for donating or participation. So, have fun, give where you can and be thankful for all that makes you smile.
Donation and/or participation opportunities:
1. CITY OF DREAMS SF: This group offers mentoring and youth development programs to our City's low-income youth. For more information please visit this website.
2. ONE DAY'S WAGES: If you want to help in a more global sense this is a great organization. They are a new grassroots movement of people, stories and actions to alleviate extreme global poverty and we've been following their successes. They are making things happen.
3. SAN FRANCISCO-MARIN FOOD BANK: You can drop off your food donations at their warehouse at 900 Pennsylvania Avenue (at 23rd Street) Monday through Friday 8:30 AM - 3 PM or you can call to schedule a Saturday drop off. 415.282.1900. To see other ways of getting involved please visit their website.
4. GLIDE MEMORIAL VOLUNTEER PROGRAM: They have a free meal program daily and always need servers. It's easy to sign up on their website. Over the holidays they will need volunteers for food preparation the day before Thanksgiving and Christmas, people to assemble bag lunches and the grocery bag giveaway; or if you would rather you could help with sorting toys.
5. MARTIN de PORRES HOUSE OF HOSPITALITY: We have volunteered here on many Sunday mornings between 8:00 and 11:30 to work their Sunday brunch. The meals are vegan and the guests may take the extra food for later at the end of the meal. Offer to volunteer on the less popular days over the holiday season since those are the days they need the most help.
6. It is also very fun to assemble a group of friends in your home to make bag lunches, followed by driving around town to hand deliver bag lunches to people in need. The surprise on their faces along with the gratitude they express will warm your heart. You will feel like celebrating once you finish.